http://www.jstor.org/pss/3283916

Hi Sash;

You may find the above article interesting.  I am particularly
interested by the comment that Borellia Burgdorferi is transmitted from
infected ticks to humans within 8 to 12 hours; more in line with my
knowledge of local acquaintances' experiences when infected.

I'm uncertain as to whether the tick regurgitates when squeezed, whether
the spirochete resides in the saliva and/or anaesthetic the tick uses in
penetrating its host or merely in the tick's stomach, and subsequently
the anaesthetic the tick uses upon DEtaching from its host; a
little-examined yet apparent sequel to the "normal" feeding cycle that
seems to involve an antihistamine type (non)reaction quite different
from what you get when the tick was forcibly removed and/or often when
it vectored a disease.

There's lots yet to be learned, for sure! Have you read Lab 257 by
Christopher Carroll??

Take care,
Malcolm