Thanks for this Steve. One question, what do you mean by "swelling clays"? Is this a process for making them usable?
PT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Norton, Steve" <stephen.nor...@ngc.com>
To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:13 AM
Subject: RE:CS>Zeolite - Does it Really Work?

Peter,

As you mentioned, zeolite is difficult to find real data on. I went thru that several years age and found enough for me to make a personal opinion but I have not tried to look for updated info because of the effort involved. Here is some of what I found back then.

Regarding liquid zeolite formulas. The original MLM version has a patent that you can find online. There are other versions employing either humic or fulvic acid. Some comments on what I found regarding liquid zeolite:

1. An "activation" process is used in the patent and by at least one of the humic acid alternatives. Basically the activation process is to heat the zeolite in an acid at high temperatures. The purpose of the acid/heat treatment of the zeolite is to flush out all the heavy metals that natural zeolite is reported to have already trapped within its honeycomb structure. This is then reported to eliminate heavy metals that could be transported into the body and also to increase the available adsorption capacity of the treated zeolite by up to 20 times that of the untreated zeolite. If you do a Google search on "acid treated zeolite" you will find a good number of technical papers that provide real data on the effects the acid/heat treatment has on the zeolite. Report after report stated that the acid/heat treatment of the zeolite reduces the cation exchange capacity of the zeolite and increased the desorb characteristics of the zeolite. The cation exchange capacity of the zeolite is the quantity of positively charged ions (cations) that the zeolite can accommodate on its negatively charged surface. One of the key features of zeolite is its negatively charged surface that draws positively charged toxins to it and bonds the toxins to the zeolite providing for the removal of the toxins with the zeolite when the zeolite passes from the body. Desorption is a phenomenon whereby a substance is released from or through a surface. The process is the opposite of sorption (that is, adsorption and absorption). The more a chemical desorbs, the less likely it will adsorb and adsorption is one of the characteristics that allow heavy metals and toxins to bond to the zeolite for removal from the body. After adsorption, the adsorbed chemical will remain bonded to the zeolite nearly indefinitely, provided the temperature remains low. This means that the "activation" process actually significantly degrades the desired characteristics of zeolite. Claim that activated zeolite increases the capacity of the zeolite by up to 20 times that of the untreated zeolite. The natural zeolite I have seen has normally a no more than a 10% reduction in capacity due to absorbed minerals and metals. I see no no way to get a 20 times increase.

2. Some claim that zeolite is absorbed into the bloodstream where it kills cancer or tumors. Some liquid Zeolite suppliers claim that the zeolite combines with humic acid and is carried into the bloodstream. Others make the claim that testing shows that 60% of orally taken liquid zeolite is passed out in the urine and 40% via the feces, thereby proving that zeolite must be absorbed into the bloodstream. One states that the zeolite has been screened with a #325 mesh screen vs. others with larger particle sizes and thus their zeolite is small enough to pass into the bloodstream but the others are not. * A #325 mesh screen passes particles that are 44 microns or smaller. One micron = 10,000 angstroms, so 44 microns is equal to 440,000 angstroms. I do not believe claims that zeolite, liquid or otherwise, passes into the blood stream. The particles are just too large. Particles that do pass into the bloodstream would not have much if any usable portion of the zeolite three-dimensional honeycomb structure.

3. The claim that zeolite fights cancer and tumors. There is testimonial and anecdotal evidence that zeolite does affect cancer and tumors in the body. If zeolite does affect cancers and tumors, the method by which it does so is not yet understood. (Assuming that zeolite does not enter the bloodstream) Some believe that the zeolite triggers the immune system and therefore boosts the body's natural responses. Others speculate that by removing toxins, it frees up the body's resources to fight cancer, etc. There are a number of studies out of Croatia that support zeolite as being effective against cancer and tumors but they are considered questionable.

Most of the useable information on the nutritional use of zeolite are animal studies. Many of them are somewhat subjective but you can draw your own conclusions. There are numerous studies of the effects of zeolite on farm animals where zeolite has been added to animal feed for some time and supports zeolite as providing a general and significant improvement in animal health. I think a good overview of this is provided in patent # WO 2005032268 20061102.
http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?wo=2005032268&IA=WO2005032268&DISPLAY=CLAIMS

It is common practice to add substances to animal feed to improve the digestibility of the feed, give them antibiotics to improve animal health and hormones to increase growth rates. The patent above documents the results of a study where hormones, antibiotics or digestive aids were replaced by zeolite and humic acid and fed to farm animals. The results are compared against animals that were fed the normal hormones, antibiotics and digestive aids. The humic acid replaced the digestive aids and the zeolite replaced the antibiotics. The results are impressive. In all cases animal growth rates of the zeolite/humic acid fed animals matched or exceeded the growth rates of the animals fed hormones, antibiotics and digestive aids. Some other benefits: Poultry: death rates reduced by 79%, egg size increased 60% and egg breakage reduced by 33%.
Piglets: death rates reduced by 75% and increased litter sizes by sows.
Fish: death rates reduced by 50% and unit weight increased by 23%.
The odor of liquid and solid animal waste was significantly reduced.

I use only powdered zeolite and not the liquid zeolite. I had a source of zeolite at $3/lb plus shipping but it has been raised to $20/lb, shipping included. I find the powdered zeolite more convenient than swelling clays, but I use both.

- Steve N