To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 2:33 AM
Subject: RE: CS>Re: silver-digest Digest V2010 #651

Melly,

I wasn't on the computer over the weekend and I trying to catch up. Regarding the use of Tamarind, the study used only 10 gm of Tamarind once daily and showed a 37% increase in fluoride excretion. This is a small amount of Tamarind. I would guess that to be around 2 teaspoons of Tamarind. It appears that they just ate the fruit but I am not sure about the seeds.

It does indeed seem that moringa oleifera seeds also helps remove fluoride. See the study abstracts below.

- Steve N

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11840184?dopt=Abstract
Effect of tamarind ingestion on fluoride excretion in humans.

" OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the effect of tamarind (Tamarindus indicus) ingestion on excretion of fluoride in school children. DESIGN: Randomized, diet-control study. SUBJECT: Twenty healthy boys were included and 18 of them completed the study. INTERVENTIONS: Each subject consumed 10 g tamarind daily with lunch for 18 days at the social welfare boys' hostel. The nutrient composition of the daily diet was constant throughout the experimental period. RESULTS: Tamarind intake led to significant increase (P<0.001) in the excretion of fluoride in 24 h urine (4.8+/-0.22 mg/day) as compared to excretion on control diet (3.5+/-0.22 mg/day). However, excretion of magnesium and zinc decreased significantly (7.11+/-1.48 mg of Mg and 252.88+/-12.84 microg of Zn per day on tamarind diet as compared to 23.39+/-3.68 mg of Mg and 331.78+/-35.31 microg Zn per day on control diet). Excretion of calcium and phosphorous were not significantly different while creatinine excretion decreased with tamarind intake (225.66+/-81 mg creatinine/day with tamarind and 294.5+/-78.76 mg creatinine/day without tamarind). CONCLUSION: Tamarind intake is likely to help in delaying progression of fluorosis by enhancing urinary excretion of fluoride."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20099463
Tamarindus indica L. and Moringa oleifera M. extract administration ameliorates fluoride toxicity in rabbits.

" Aqueous extracts of T. indica fruit pulp (100 mg/kg body weight) and M. oleifera seeds (50 mg/kg body wight) orally once daily for 90 days lowered plasma fluoride concentrations in rabbits receiving fluorinated drinking water (200 mg NaF/ Liter water). Cortical indices and metaphysial width in animals receiving extracts also revealed beneficial effects of plant extracts. Changes in plasma biochemistry suggested less hepatic and renal damages in animals receiving plant extracts along with fluorinated water in comparison to that receiving fluorinated water alone. Preliminary results revealed these plant extracts have some potential to mitigate fluoride toxicity."