Don't see how it can be described as a "powerful antacid."  Dan

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa4091/is_200407/ai_n9450515/

"The most outstanding characteristic of the tamarind fruit is that it is the
most acidic of all fruits, with a total acidity range varying from 12-24% as
tartaric acid; however, it also has a high total sugar content, varying from
21-31% (1). "