Hi PT.  Those of us with horses are all dealing with this right now -- in my
area, we're just finishing up the green-headed biting fly season, followed
immediately by the huge *bomber* horse fly season, and when that ends,
the annoying bot flies show up.  It guarantees about three months of misery for
horses, and head-banging against the wall for caring horse owners.

I was visiting a horse-retirement farm in Nashville last weekend, and saw a fly
trap that you assemble and put out in the pasture for the horses.  The
construction of the unit sort of resembles a horse (at least to flies, it does)
-- and that attracts them to it, where apparently they bump into a shield that
causes them to drop into soapy water where they drown (insert cheering of
thousands here).  The unit is called EPPS Biting Fly Trap -- and if you Google
it, you will find a variety of places that sell it at a variety of prices --
the
highest being about $300.00, and the lowest around $265.00 with free shipping.
If your friend has a herd of Luisitanos, he/she can afford it!!  ;-)  If it
solves the problem, most horse owners would sell their souls to afford one.

The only other advice I can offer is a defensive one -- turn the horses out at
night, and bring them into the barn during the day when the biting flies are
out.

Anyway -- hope this helps for your friend.
MA