In a message dated 7/30/2010 6:02:58 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ptf2...@bellsouth.net writes:

Hi,
Is there anyone that know of something that will deter  biting flies?  A
friend's horses are just being tortured this year.   After being bitten the
bites swell and bleed.  If there are enough bites  in an area then the whole
area swells.

Thanks for any help you can give.
PT

Hi PT, I don't have a horse any more but a friend who  has several uses
Avon Skin-So-Soft.  She has it on a rag & wipes them  down when the fly
population is heavy.  I use it on the pups &  myself when we do our woods
walks..{Have it in a spray bottle & give us all  a spritz or 2 } also have used
the
fabric softener dryer sheets...{.Not  great for horses} When I did have my
horse we had the pump type sprayer  & used the bulk spray from the farm supply
store..  Lois