Dear PT,

> What I am interested in is how water that has been distilled can still
> be producing contaminants?  It was my understanding that once it was
> distilled it is contaminant free.

People used to use double distilled water when it had to be absolutely
as pure as possible. Nowadays, there are (big and expensive) systems of
cartridges used in lab and industrial settings that produce extremely
pure deionized water that is appropriate for those applications.

For us, double distilled is the most approachable way to get to that
level of purity... though you should ask yourself if you *really* need
that purity or if it's overkill.

Why wouldn't the first distillation cycle get everything?

Well, to start with, we've already talked about tossing off the first
bits of water from the distiller to get rid of any volatiles that came
off with the water and remain dissolved in the distillate.

Then we learned to leave behind the last of the water, rather than
boiling it off completely. This means that the resevoir doesn't need to
boil dry and get hotter in order for the temperature switch to
automatically shut down the heater. That makes it easier to clean out,
I'm sure, but *also* means that some of the higher boiling point
contaminants don't get a chance to evaporate and join with the last of
the condensate to contaminate the batch.

Both of these methods allow you to capture the purest portion of the
output stream.

Then there's not filling it all the way, which avoids the obvious
problem of boiling water *splashing* into the condenser.

The thing is that all of these processes are continuous... All the
volatiles don't come off at the same temperature or infinitely quickly,
and all of the possible contaminants have a perhaps small, but finite
and measurable evaporation rate at whatever temperature you're
operating. So, the whole while the water is being evaporated, at least
some traces of these other things are also making it across to the
output.

So a second cycle of distillation, just as carefully done as the first
(and *without* the output filter! <grin>) will simply take those
contaminant levels down by *another* factor of however many orders of
magnitude they came down with the first cycle, or at least close.

I hope that makes sense?

Peace,

Mike D.

Archives: