Does an MD administer this therapy? Is there any published data about it?

In a newspaper here in Japan some years ago, a patient died after, as the article described it, a needle made of (or containing?) silver nitrate broke off during treatment.

Admittedly, the article was so brief and sketchy that I could not understand what was being done by the MD. I did, however, inquire about it here on this list, and was told by some of the experts that silver nitrate is deadly.

Hence my message.    Caveat lector.

Any data about the treatment would be useful to list members. Thanks in advance.