The production of copper hydrite in EIS is an interesting analytical problem. The hydrate is rather unstable, and likely will react with Silver hydroxide producing colloidal copper, colloidal silver and H2O. If this is correct then using copper for the cathode would produce a combination of both colloidal copper and silver. Then the colloidal copper would likely react with silver oxide producing copper oxide, and additional colloidal silver. Copper oxide is insoluble, and thus would likely form a precipitant.

But I think the biggest problem with using copper as a cathode is that copper will reduce silver hydroxide and silver oxide, so that the ionic silver will plate out as silver on the copper, removing the silver from solution as you are making it, reducing efficiency significantly. This reaction can be confirmed by putting some copper into some EIS and noting that it turns silver colored over time.

Marshall

Dan Nave wrote:
The cathode (in this case the negative terminal) can be copper if you
are not polarity switching.

The anode (in this case the positive terminal) must be silver.

You can see I don't agree with cking, as usual...

Dan