----- Original Message -----
From: Victoria Welch <vi...@oz.net>
To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Monday, 27 September 1999 10:03
Subject: Re: CS>Standardization - A Call for Standards!

> Good Morning Ivan,

Hi Victoria,

> First off apologies to everyone for the abysmal formatting of
the
> origninal message here.  Not sure how it happened :(.

Don't worry, it seemed fine to me ;-)

>>snip<<
> > [ ... ]
> > That is because, in my case, I don't see the point in
generating
> > test after test reconfirming what I already know, and
providing
> > data useful for only those generators using my parameters. I
have
> > already posted and reposted the parameters for the simplest
of
> > generators with repeatable results.
>
> Wonderful, I would love to see the data!  If I can reproduce
your
> results accurately and consistantly then I would be most happy!

I shall dig them out and post them.

> Just because *you* don't see a point in doing this is fine for
you, no
> question and no problem with that.
>
> The problem is those that have not been through the same
process and
> have not a clue what they are producing other than "something
useful".
> Perhaps there are a lot of people out here who are concerned
with what
> they are doing and are equally concerned about what they put
into their
> personal biosystems.  Not everyone is capable of generating
this
> information themselves for a wide variety of reasons.  I'd be
willing to
> bet I am not the only one protective of my personal biosystem
:-).

> This leads me to wonder why the same questions are being asked
time
> after time after time.  If there is a place where people can
see the
> data and conclusions then why are the same questions being
asked
> constantly?

Well there is so much disparate information about CS and CS
generation about that it is no wonder that people become
confused. If they end up on the list, then we generally try to
help them with their questions.

> > [ ... ]
> > What data are you looking for? One would hope that the
various
> > generators are tested for their production and are translated
> > into operating instructions.
>
> My personal default condition is to QUESTION claims.  If they
are indeed
> legitmate and accurate then there is simply no problem.  Again,
I am
> personally leary of what I put into my personal biosystem.  The
idea of
> going out and purchasing something that is *supposed* to be
bone simple
> just doesn't wash for me, batteries and clipleads are well
within my
> capabilites to construct.  How do I *know* - as you note "One
would
> hope", I personally am more than a bit leary about "hoping"
when my
> health is the crux of the issue :-).
>
> > You pick your generator and take your chances, just like the
rest
> > of life. If you are wise you look around for someone you feel
you
> > can trust, and who offers an independant silver assay of
their
> > product.
>
> Sorry Ivan, <bzzzzt> wrong answer.  When it comes to my health
I do not
> grab something to see what is going to happen (I can go to a
medical
> industy practitioner and pay lots of money for that privilige).
When it
> comes to this I *do not* grab and take my chances, I want the
*most*
> informed decision that I can possibly make.  No other options
are
> acceptable to me.
>
> "Feeling I can trust" someone has not been a reliable procedure
> follow, at least where I live in the US, where honor is
measured in
> dollars accumulated and greed drives most everything.
>
> Pardon my cynicism in the matter, but I am reminded of
Microsofts
> "independant analysis" of their product against others a while
back.
> They hired independant labs inc to do this and the results were
strongly
> in their favor.  Once the data was published (or at least was
not able
> to be duplicated) the idea of an "independant analysis" sort of
paled.

> Yes, I am *picky* where my health is concerned :-)!

Ok, but then we are left in a state of limbo. What else can one
do (apart from build their own) but make a decision based upon
information supplied? What else can a supplier do but have their
product tested by an independent laboritory? Certainly one should
investigate the subject as one is able, but the long and short of
it is, a decision needs to be made in order to proceed. It would
be wise to validate the claims by having ones own analysis made.

> > > Without hard data, reproducibility and peer review what we
have
> > is
> > > "snake oil", IMO.  Perhaps useful "snake oil" but still
"snake
> > oil".
> >
> > What we have is colloidal silver in all its guises, and
whether
> > you approve of its manner of generation matters little to
those
> > who are making it in their kitchen and using it to good
effect.

> I may be wrong here, but I am getting the impression that you
are
> feeling like I am "attacking" you.  Not so.  This is a quest
for
> understanding through intelligent discourse for myself and
everyone else
> who does not already have answers that they are totally happy
with.  If
> you already have all the answers that make this work for you, I
think
> that is wonderful!  Unfortunately the rest of us (a sizable
percentage?)
> do not share that luxury, from what I can gather.

Yes, sorry, I was feeling a little testy. Please understand that
I try to gather my response as if I was someone who didn't
understand the first thing about the technicalities of silver
generation, but had been diligently generating CS with my three
batteries for twenty minutes, the last few years (or whatever)
and have been happy with the results. Now I find it is snake oil
and I need change things and buy meters and so on.

Don't get me wrong, I feel that the three battery method can be
improved a great deal, hence my simple generator post, but the
battery method does work (even with its inconsistancies) and the
CS so generated is perfectly adequate.

I do have the answers to LVDC CS generation, more or less. I am
able to produce hundreds of litres per week if needs be, of a
very consistant nature. Indeed I have just tested a batch which
is over a year old, and shows no deterioration.
The process itself is not difficult, what is difficult is
designing a small cheap system with repeatable results, and
understanding the limits of this device. Also the chemistry and
physics of this particular colloid system (ie CS) is also
difficult to unravel, given that I do not have the funds
available for an in depth investigation.
Although I have been quiet over the last month or so, I have
generally been free in offering advice and assistance to those
who asked for it.

> Lets get this much straight right here.  I neither AVOCATE NOR
APPROVE
> of ANY particular method of generation.  I am personally
convinced that
> there are a lot of ways to generate CS and with the proper
research and
> *data* that known operational charactistics and results are
obtainable
> using ANY of these methods.

Agreed.

> The primary reason that I am paralleling my experimentation
with Ole
> Bobs method is that I have his *data* to compare my results to.
I do
> not think that my method of generation is the "ultimate" way to
do it
> and neither does he from what I gather from my communications
with him.
> The "ultimate" method (assuming that one actually does exist)
may or may
> not already have been discovered - who knows - again: *where is
the
> data*?

I don't believe in an ultimate way... apart from different types
of electrolysis, there are many other methods of capturing
charged silver particles in water. Each has its own merrits and
disadvantages.

> >From mail I have received in response to this posting, it DOES
appear to
> me that there are indeed those out there who are interested in
these
> specifics whether what they are making on their kitchen counter
works
> "good enough" or not...

Well it is interesting to me also, I am a tech-head after all.
:-)
I am not trying to dissuade you in this endevour (if it seems so,
I am sorry) just trying to put things into perspective as I see
it. (if people don't respond on list how would I know what they
feel...I may be way out of line with my comments, not for the
first time either!)

> > Peer review... there is a Colloidal Silver Association
somewhere
> > in the US who require a product of not more than 7ppm I
believe.
> > Other than that, how and who would review my products?
>
> I just ran several searches for this organization and if they
exist,
> then they appear not to have a web presence.  First warning
bell...

I couldn't find them when I searched many moons ago either.

> Just because there is an "organization" is meaningless.  There
are
> enough "organizations" out there put together by the
"opposition" (in
> many areas, I am not inferring CS in particular) that I don't
think I
> need to elaborate on this.  I haven't seen anything on this,
can't find
> a web presence and never heard of this organization before you
mentioned
> it.

As far as I understand it, they are a group of manufacturers
trying to establish some kind of minimum standard for affiliates.
I believe CS Pro is a member or have had their product endorsed.
(from memory)

> If they are requiring a "product of not more than 7 PPM", then
I would
> want to know why (Second warning bell), as it seems to make no
sense to
> me.  I think we can agree that there is a much wider spread of
CS PPM
> being used and apparently with "good" results (again, no data).

I guess they have their reasons. This is why I never followed up
in this matter, my product is 20ppm.

>>snip<<
> > The fact that the regular medical industry does not take CS
> > seriously has nothing to do with these questions. The medical
> > industry did not take vitamin suppliments or herbal cures etc
> > seriously either.
>
> And for the same reasons - there was no proof.  Talk to a few
doctors
> about this and you will get the same questions you see on this
list.
> Where is the research, it has not been proven?  What are the
dosage
> parameters?  From proofs comes general acceptance (resistance
driven by
> greed aside, even that will fall over time and sufficient
data).

Here I must disaggree. If a remedy is not handed to a doctor
(gross generalisation here) in a bottle by a phamaceutical
company, or unless it is specifically asked for, it will not be
dispenced. I remember back in the late eighties hearing an
interview of an Australian doctor who discovered that the
majority of stomach ulcers were caused by bacteria and a course
of ABX cured them. The trouble he had convincing the wider med.
profession to believe him, documentation in hand, was
unbelievable. Just look at the use of enzyme treatments in Europe
and Asia, 60 years of documented proof and studies in its
efficacy. Available in the rest of the west, not on your Nelly.
There are hundreds of documented case studies etc. on the use of
silver in treating medical conditions, of its oligodynamic
properties against a large number of pathogens. We are up against
a wider agenda here I think.

> >  [ ... ]
> > I think there is great merrit in providing data for the
standard
> > 3 or 4 battery method, even for 2 batteries. I will be happy
> > provide this as time permits.
>
> I also think this the ideal place to start.  Easy enough for
anyone to
> do with an absolute minimum of knowledge, cash outlay and
technical
> skill required.  It gets CS into the hands of those that need
it the
> quickest.
>
> Let us decide on what would consist or the "Standard Basic
Generator".
> How much DW, what size containter (HxWxD), how many batteries
(although
> expensive, perhaps "basic batteries" would be wisest to start
with (?),
> What wire size, length and spacing?  I would strongly recommend
for the
> inclusion of the 1K0 1% resistor in all variations as
measurement of
> current and consequently resistance is very simple with the
most basic
> equipment.  What might I have missed here?  The items we
standardize on
> should the things readily obtainable anywhere inexpensively.
Once we
> "lock this down" we can start with the trials!

I think that locking down a configuration is good, but that all
possible combinations should be looked at, especially those that
require no testing apparatus by the user. Agreed that the basic
8oz tumbler and 16oz jar should be defined, and electrode length
and guage. Then it should be possible to state within a margin of
error the concentration for a given time in hot and cold water.
Absolutes would be impossible, but one could say that the
solution is higher than 5ppm. I suspect it will always be lower
than 15ppm. And don't forget those that use ingots.

> Other processes that "improve" on this basic method can be
explored and
> documented in turn.

Sounds good!

> I very much look forward to studying your data!
>
> > I should think that Voltage, current (which will give
> > resistance), conductivity, temperature and ppm vs. time
covers
> > all bases.
>
> Seems like a good start, let's get the parameters defined and
the
> measurement tools formally defined.
>
> > Also laser inspection at these time points.
>
> Please elaborate on this, I am completely currently ignorant on
how,
> precisely, this would be applied.  I have done some very basic
(and
> inconclusive in my mind) work with a laser (TE works although I
have NO
> idea what this tells me that I might consider to be concrete
data).  I
> started working on a "laser test" jig, but it has not been
gotten back
> to :-).  Interesting to note that it uses the same basic
components as
> the Hanna device I mention below...

I meant for noting any Tyndall effect :-)

> > As voltage drops in battery only systems a resistance (E/I)
vs
> > ppm graph would be most important.
>
> Agree and I think that simple reference charts could be
reasonably
> easily prepared given a "standard generator configuration".
>
> > There are others on the list who, whilst not making much
noise,
> > also have the required test equipment.
>
> This is good!  My one concern has been measurement ability and
concern
> about loading those good souls willing to do it, even if they
are doing
> it "at cost" I don't feel it fair to load them with endless
testing (we
> all must maintain "a life" in the process :).
>
> I have looked over the Hanna site for instrumentation and
looked at the
> instrument (HI 93737 Silver Meter) pointed to by the following
link:

> http://www.hannainst.com/products/ion/93737.htm
>
> This is reasonably afforable - is it something that would tell
us what
> we want to know?  Just as an aside, looking at the specs, would
this be
> buildable?  Lasers of that wavelength and detectors as
mentioned are
> pretty cheap - if we knew how they got the results, this might
be
> buildable more affordably?  Just something to consider.

This is a colorimeter and measures only to 0.6ppm unfortunately.
The test range we require (5 - 50 ppm) is not well served by
cheap test equipment, I'm sorry to say. One can buy test strips
that measure up to 5ppm or down to 500ppm but not in between.
Colorimeters seem to be the same, although I suspose one could
dilute the CS to bring it into range. I use an Ion Selective
Electrode which gives the most accurate measurement of the silver
ion but costs well over $1000.
[ BTW, you don't need a laser for these instruments, a blue LED
or tungsten fillament lamp with a filter is sufficient. With the
appropriate photodiode reciever (some have integral amplifiers),
reagents and blue light passing cuvets, this could well be home
made. I have a RGB LED set up to act as a crude uv/vis
spectrophotometer that I have been playing with.]

> > One problem is that the starting resistance needs to be the
same
> > for different waters. To this end I have asked Bob if he
would
> > establish the amount of seeding it would require to swamp the
> > initial dist. water conductivity reading, have had no reply
so
> > far.
>
> This also has been a lingering question in the back of my mind.
Is the
> beginning current flow actually significant in and of itself?
Would
> this not make itself up when you run to a specific ending
current flow?
> As one of my famous SWAGs (scientific Wild Arsed Guesses :), as
yet
> untested, running to a given cutoff current should compensate
for
> varying Initial current.  It would definitly change the time of
run.  I
> am currently entertaining ideas for a automatic cutoff device
settable
> to a desired current flow, but have not done anything with it
yet :-/.

The amount of silver deposited in the water is a function of the
work done less the silver that is lost through fallout and
adherance to the cathode, so the current cutoff method is not
really feasable, unless you maintain constant voltage, but you
then risk needing to generate with a high current density and the
fallout and cathode sludge this can bring (LVDC). If maintaining
constant current, then Voltage could monitored. The conductivity
of the water, and hence the resistance is directly proportional
to the silver content. (which is why I asked you some time ago if
you knew of a circuit which could be configured to cut the power
at a particular resistance. My electronic skill doesn't stretch
to that :-/ )
What I am trying to develop is a constant current and constant
voltage generator that varies series resistance in response to
the varying load resistance (Wheatstone bridge?) and will cutout
at some predetermined point.
This will be the ultimate generator!!! :-) You heard it here
first folks.

  > > Most use the 3 battery method and the greatest good will be
in
> > addressing their use. Raw data and graphs will not be of much
use
> > to most of these users.
>
> Ah, I respectfully disagree.  The raw data and graphs must be
available
> to all, it provides what "marketing hype" doesn't - proof that
anyone
> who chooses to understand and make the effort can use to
validate
> independantly.  Granted, not many will probably want to do so,
but the
> option must be there IMO.

Ok.

> > Others who have the skill to build a fancy circuit with
stirring
> > etc. would be fewer in number, and a good proportion of these
> > have their own ideas and circuits. These people could
generate
> > their own data, the only obstacle being the silver assay.
>
> Agree, but once we have standards for measuring in place, why
not use
> them?

Sure.

> > I will
> > buy a conductivity meter in the next week or so and measure
the
> > conductivity of various concentrations of CS, which should
enable
> > people to measure their own concentration with the purchase
of a
> > cheap meter ... the final parameter is thus revealed.
>
> This is our goal!  Please share with me what instrumentation
you are
> considering, if it might be possible for me to obtain one I
think it
> might help (as well as anyone else interested).  Standard
metrics are
> important and I am concerned that a few people may bear the
brunt of
> measurement, if possible we should spread this out as much as
possible
> for several reasons.  One: no one gets swamped and 2) multiple
> independant reporting of results.

The Conmet 1 (HI 98305) would be the unit of choice at $142.00
http://www.hannainst.com/products/testers/conmet.htm
 But more likely the DiST 3 at the miserly sum of $46.70
 http://www.hannainst.com/products/testers/distw.htm

> Thanks for your response and contributions to this effort!
>
> Take care, Vikki.

Talk to you later - Ivan