On 6/1/2011 9:13 AM, Tom Poast wrote:

Hello Bob,

MMS2 is calcium hypochlorite.  Bleach is sodium chlorite.

Common bleach is sodium hypochlorite, a completely different compound.

  When you add either of these to water you form hypochlorous acid.

When you add sodium chlorite to water you get a solution of the two. It will keep for years, and is what both MMS is made of. Calcium hypochlorite which is MMS2 does form a salt of hypochlorous acid though.

When you add chlorine gas to water you also form hypochlorous acid. Hypochlorous acid is the active ingredient in chlorination.

You also get hydrochloric acid. MMS does not form hypochlorous acid, but chlorous acid instead. MMS2 does follow this path though.

When hypochlorous acid is exposed to an acid, chlorine gas is released.

Yes, that is why do do not add acid to bleach, and why bleach is made by using sodium hydroxide.

Swallowing calcium hypochlorite and having it for hypochlorous acid in the presence of stomach acid produces chlorine gas.

That appears to be so.

Chlorine is a wonderful disinfectant, but it reacts with organic material and can form disinfectant by products that are known to cause cancer.

Chlorinating the GI tract will disrupt the flora in it, but you have to question if that is in the persons best long term health interests.

That is why I would stick with MMS, not MMS2. It appears that taking MMS2 would be essentially the same as taking bleach.

Marshall

Tom