So, he is taking CS which likely was keeping the prostrate in check, and the machine is taken away with the consequence the prostate antigen increased. They respond with 7 weeks of radiation destroying his immune system, and without a working immune system or CS he succumbed to something. I would surmise that taking the silver away was the cause of his death personally.

Marshall