To All,

  Here are some of the design considerations for the  MiniCell version
  of the SilverCell process:

  My main  concern  is  a single mom with hungry  kids  to  feed. They
  probably go to DayCare or Kindergarten, where cold and flu pathogens
  rapidly spread,  and the kids bring these germs home. So  the mother
  is constantly bathed in a sea of germs at home.

  In addition,  she is probably lucky to find work as  a  sales clerk,
  where she  is  constantly  bombarded with cold  and  flu  germs from
  dealing with  the  public. So she is constantly bathed in  a  sea of
  germs at work.

  But she  cannot afford to get sick and lose her paycheck for  two or
  three weeks  while  she recovers from a bad flu.  And  she certainly
  does not want to catch a flu and pass the virus on to her customers.

  But the only thing on the planet that can help protect her  from the
  H1N1 flu virus is high-ionic cs. Antibiotics have no effect, and the
  popular cold remedies either have no effect, or they simply mask the
  symptoms.

  So my  goal is to find a way to make the  SilverCell  process simple
  enough for her to be able to use it, even though she probably has no
  instruments like a dvm or a COM-100 pure water tester to monitor the
  process. There  is probably no room in her budget  for  these items,
  and she  probably  doesn't have the time to learn  how  to  use them
  effectively.

  This means  the process must be easy to monitor and tell when  it is
  functioning properly,  and give a clear indication of  when  to stop
  the brew.

  In addition, it has to be tolerant of timing, when she is simply too
  busy to  keep  checking the brew to see if it is  ready.  It  has to
  tolerate wide  variations in attention without  self-destruction, as
  the original  3 nines does if you go away and leave  it  running. It
  just turns the solution into mud. We don't want that to  happen with
  our system.

  Another goal is to provide an inexpensive way to verify  the results
  of the  brew,  and  to   ensure   it   has  the  desired  silver ion
  concentration. A  COM-100  PWT  is   out  of  the  question  for our
  struggling single mom. It is far too expensive, and is easily fooled
  by contamination.  Also, the kids will probably chew  on  the sensor
  end, and  contaminate  the electrodes with their  saliva.  This will
  ruin the COM-100 and make it impossible to use.

  The solution  is  to find a simple, inexpensive  test  that responds
  only to  silver  ions, so it cannot be fooled  by  contamination. It
  doesn't have  to be terribly accurate - we simply  don't  need three
  decimal digits  of  resolution in this application. All  we  need to
  know is are there enough silver ions to do the job.

  The answer  is the simple Salt Test, which I proposed  to  the forum
  long ago  in  my  first   post.  The  mail  archive  scrambles email
  addresses, so please replace the (at) with @:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/silver-list(at)eskimo.com/msg17398.html

  I did  not  mention in the post that the salt must  be  pure canning
  salt, and  not  ordinary table salt.  Table  salt  contains aluminum
  anti-caking compounds, which cloud the solution and ruin the test.

  You can find canning salt in most grocery or health food  stores. In
  the US, look for "Morton Canning & Pickling Salt":

  http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/foodsalts/Canning_Pic_Salt.htm

  In Canada, find "Windsor Coarse Canning and Pickling Salt"

  http://www.windsorsalt.com/food_salts/coarse_salts.html.htm

  It turns  out this works extremely well due to the  high  silver ion
  content of  the  SilverCell process. There is no  question  that the
  solution contains silver ions, and lots of them!

  Another goal is to make it simple to desulfurize the electrodes, and
  remove the silver sulfide tarnish and other anions and  cations that
  tend to build up over time. These have a serious  detrimental effect
  on the  brewing process, and continue to degrade the cs  when  it is
  put in  storage.  We  need every silver ion we  can  get,  and can't
  afford to  lose  them due to contamination problems.  So  we  need a
  simple way  to decontaminate the electrodes, and to  keep  them from
  getting recontaminated  when  the  unit is  put  in  storage between
  brews.

  The system  has to be as inexpensive as possible. There  are systems
  on the  market  that charge $200 to $400 for what is  basically  a 3
  nines setup  with not much better performance. That is  simply price
  gouging, but  there is not enough good information available  on the
  web to  warn  people  about these systems, so  they  continue  to be
  bought.

  So my  goal  is  to keep the MiniCell  generator  as  inexpensive as
  possible by  using materials that perform well, and are  either free
  or very inexpensive.

  This means  it has to use a very inexpensive method to  regulate the
  current during the brew. A fully-featured constant current source is
  out of  the  question. It is too expensive and far  too  complex for
  someone who has no training in electronics. It is also impossible to
  verify it is working properly without at least a  digital voltmeter,
  and some knowledge of how to detect and prevent oscillation problems
  due to poor bypassing or bad circuit layout.

  There is  a very simple way to regulate the current  using  a single
  resistor in  series  with   the   cell.   This  is  called Resistive
  Stabilization, and  it  works  well if you have  a  high  voltage DC
  source to  work  with,  such as 160V  obtained  from  rectifying and
  filtering the 120VAC line voltage.

  The question  was  could this be made to work with a  single  9 Volt
  battery, and the answer is a resounding YES! It works great!!

  The final  goal  was to find a low leakage glass  jar  with straight
  sides to use as the MiniCell container.

  The straight sides are needed so the electrodes can be placed as far
  apart as  possible.  This   minimizes   the  dead  space  behind the
  electrodes, which normally dilutes the silver ion concentration when
  they diffuse throughout the container after the brew.

  Most systems  use  plain soda lime glass, which  is  inexpensive but
  probably the worst material to use due to contamination and leaching
  problems. An  example  is trying to store your cs in  an  old pickle
  jar. You will make this mistake only once.

  The glass absorbs the chemicals from the pickles, and  then releases
  them into  the high purity distilled water. The result is  it tastes
  horrible, and  there is no way to remove the contamination  from the
  jar.

  A second  mistake  is  to use Flint glass.  This  is  basically lead
  crystal, which also leaches ions into the dw. In this case, the ions
  are lead,  which is an accumulative poison. So we really  don't want
  to even consider it.

  The final option is to use Type I borosilicate glass, which is among
  the lowest  leaching  glasses  you can find.  It  is  normally quite
  expensive, since the glass melts at a much higher temperature and is
  harder to work with.

  But it  turns out there is a ready supply of  standard  glass shapes
  that are  ideal for our application. And these are  not  expensive -
  often cheaper  than an ordinary soda lime drinking  glass,  which we
  have already decided we don't want.

  The ideal product is available worldwide and can be shipped directly
  to you home. So you don't have to waste gas driving all over  to try
  to find it.

  It is called a 400 mL Griffin Low Profile borosilicate glass beaker,
  and is  available on eBay. Or you can probably call your  local high
  school and speak to the chemistry professor. He may be happy to give
  you two brand new ones for free, which is what happened to me when I
  called.

  The same  day,  my  eBay order finally arrived, so  now  I  have two
  borosilicate beakers  of  the  same  style,  but  slightly different
  dimensions. I  will have to take that into account  when  I document
  the construction details.

  So now we have solved all the problems and met all the requirements.

  The next  phase is to document the construction and  operation. This
  requires lots  of  pictures, so I will spend the  next  week  or two
  assembling all  the  data  and will post it to my  new  web  site at
  silvercentral.

  More soon...

  Mike Monett
  SilverCell