On 9/15/2011 11:56 PM, Mike Monett wrote:
   Marshall, I  would   really   like   for   you   to  do  the thermal
   decomposition experiment  for  silver hydroxide. It  is  one  of the
   easiest of all to perform, since it occurs at such a low temperature
   - barely enough to cook hamburger, if you can wait that long:)

   But there  is  something magic when you see the  black  deposit turn
   gray right  in  front of your eyes. It reaches  somewhere  deep down
   inside and  you suddenly realize that what these  people  are saying
   could actually harm you. So you begin to wonder what  other mistakes
   they have made, and what is the real truth about what is happening.

I am not questioning that you have seen the effect. I am however questioning your interpretation of it. First I cannot find any reference anywhere to silver hydroxide. It is not even in my CRC handbook, and every reference I can find says that it can only exist in a hydrated form. Thus I am unable to find anywhere that tells its color, if it does exist. You are claiming that the black stuff is silver hydroxide, I think it is silver oxide Ag2O, which my book says is black or brown-black. The crystalline form shifts when it is heated. Silver oxide is normal a cubic crystal, but when deposited on an electrode I would expect most of it to be amorphous. If it is amorphous, it would almost certainly be black. As is normal with amorphous materials that are normally crystalline, they will form crystals when they are heated sufficiently. So that goes right along with the idea that a black amorphous compound crystallizes and changes color when heated.

Is there any test data to support either of these possibilities. In fact there is. There is a paper that shows that when formed by an electrolytic cell and deposited on an electrode, Ag2O is indeed laid down as a mixture of amorphous and cubic forms. This can be viewed at http://web.mit.edu/dsadoway/www/134.pdf

I am unable to find at what temperature you said this action takes place. Another possibility is that the precipitate contains both AgO and Ag2O. AgO decomposes at about 100 C lower temperature than Ag2O. This is given in the paper at http://www.iupac.org/publications/pac/2/1/0211/pdf/ which also shows that various forms of Ag2O, specifically the the 220 and 331, spontaneously form the cubic 111 form at temperatures no higher than 150 C, which is the temperature they did the annealing at.

Marshall