Hi and thanks to those who responded.  I have been going back through the
archives and here are Brook's measurements for the sodium ascorbate and
lecithin.  I've had these instructions [below] for quite awhile.  But after
blending, are we to put the sodium ascorbate/lecithin solution into an ultra
sonic cleaner? Or  were his instructions in starting off with sodium ascorbate
instead of ascorbic acid [then adding baking soda after using the ultrasonic
cleaner] intended for those who just were using a blender for encapsulation?  I
just can't get it strait.  Do we start off with sodium ascorbate or ascorbic
acid if were are using a blender then putting the solution into an ultrasonic
cleaner?  I would love clear, final measurements for sodium ascorbate OR
ascorbic acid [then adding backing soda after the ultrasonic cleaner process],
as well as the measurement for the lecithin.

Thanks again,

Theresa

CS>Liposomal Vit. C: Ancillary Commentary
Brooks Bradley
Thu, 10 Sep 2009 14:09:45 -0700

I have not had available time in which to catch up on the various exchanges of
the list membership....during the past week or so, I believe I can offer a few
comments that may be of value----for those who are actually conducting research
of their own.
Someone made a comment about the feasibility of implementing kitchen blenders
for achieving the emulsifying force in the encapsulation liposomalenomena. It
is true, in fact, that a certain measure of ascorbate encapsulation will result
from such activity (about 20% maximum, under ideal conditions, employing
special measures to control foaming). We did, actually, evaluate this type
process...early on, in our preliminary research on this phenomena, but
abandoned it because of low efficiency and requirements for closer tolerances
between the liquid components. This said, if there are list members actively
engaged in attempts to reconcile a useful, low-end efficiency
encapsulation.....there are some modifications/refinements they might
consider....to actually improve the encapsulation levels which might be
acceptable (to them). The following comments might be of use to these
individuals.
First, the conversion of Ascorbic Acid into sodium ascorbate is recommended.
There are several reasons for this: Sodium ph is at least 3000% more Vit in the
human body....than is ascorbic acid. By this conversion, it is much easier to
buffer toward neutral ph....which will greatly mitigate against EXCESS foaming
during the actual mixing/agitating of the encapsulation process.
One simple, acceptable, method for accomplishing this conversion is to mix One
Part ascorbic acid and One Part Sodium Bicarbonate together in distilled water
(e.g. one teaspoon Ascorbic acid with One teaspoon Sodium bicarbonate in one
cup of water). Stir well and allow to sit [usually about 45 to 60 seconds or
until the spontaneous generation of bubbles stops) for a few moments. Next, add
about 1.5 teaspoons of powdered/granulated lecithin....into the parent
solution. Our best mixing results were achieved by using a hand-held mixing
tool (e.g. Long shank mixer, with bottom-mounted blade.) Pour the liquid mix
into a cylindrical glass or plastic (ordinary drinking glass is
o.k.)container...but try to use one that is just wide enough to accommodate the
diameter of the mixer blade assembly.....for best results. Note: Do not fill
above 1/2 of volume of container.
Start mixer at slowest speed and accelerate to high speed, being careful to not
generate such high levels of foam as to overrun the top of the container. The
amount of foaming present indicates (as a general rule) the ph of the solution.
Agitate for about 60 seconds and observe the degree of foaming. If no higher
than 1/2 inch, the ph is relatively close to neutral. If much higher, the ph
is, probably, over on the acid side. In any case, it is not critical. This type
of protocol should result in an encapsulation of about 20%-----best
achievement. However, there is one VERY important gain over using ascorbic acid
as the vitamin C component-----the UN-ENCAPSULATED vitamin C component, now
present, is MUCH more rapidly absorbed....than would be a conventional ascorbic
acid component.
These comments are for general, not exact, parameters. One may, at their own
discretion, modify the Bicarb X Vit. C volumes....to meet their personal taste.
This includes variations in water volume versus dry component volumes.
The ratio of one to one for the volumes of Ascorbic acid and Bicarbonate of
soda, is just a guide....placed well near the middle of acceptable ratios.
Individuals may safely vary the ratios....in either direction. Researchers
should understand that, as a general rule, the taste of the finished solution
will be more tart on the acid side, and less so...on the basic
(alkaline)side......and less pronounced on EITHER side...as dilution level is
increased.
I hope these comments are of some value to researchers on the list.
Sincerely, Brooks Bradleyp