There is nothing to worry about, providing you use Distilled Water.
There are plans in the public domain for battery operated units, primitive some
may say, but they do work and produce the same stuff.
My very first unit was such a unit, only I soldered my electrodes to what they
call a 'bread board' and put everything inside one of those plastic electronics
hobby boxes to make it look half decent.  Simplicity in itself really.  You can
just leave the batteries on the table if you want, if you make the wiring long
enough to reach a glass.
Make one using 3 x 9 volt batteries in series to give 27 volts and solder a
silver rod/wire on the end of each of the remaining positive and negative
wires, then simply punch two holes in a piece of cardboard 1 1/2" apart to poke
the rods {electrodes} through and sit it on top of a glass with rods submerged
into the water and you're away producing your own, oh, and try to keep the
electrodes parallel to each other.
Honestly, it's THAT simple, don't worry.  This will do until you decide on
purchasing, or making, a current controlled/limited unit.  Just ensure you
remove those electrodes at regular timed intervals to wipe them clean.  One to
one and a half hours and you're good to go with EIS/CS.  From memory you should
end up with around 10-15ppm on a TDS meter, perhaps even higher depending on
water temperature.
We've probly all had similar fears when we first started, but then we have
learnt a lot more over the years and are now totally relaxed about it because
we understand it much more betterer <g>.  I'm probly the least 'scientific'
person here, but damn I make a product equal to anything else <g>.
N.