I have done some more research. I also checked some of this material that had been made. I found that the compound I am talking about has the chemical name of sodium sucrate. I found when the maple syrup and bicarb of soda are made, the remaining liquid become very thick, almost like if gelatin was added. Exploring the properties of sucrate I find that it becomes gelatin like when water is added. Some reading also indicates that under some conditions the sucrate polymerizes with the sucrose, making longer chained compounds, which would explain the strong thickening.

Anyway I found references which say that sodium sucrate can be easily made by mixing lye (sodium hydroxide) and sucrose with alcohol and heating. This might be a way to produce some of this to experiment with. For instance some sources say that sucrate is insoluble in water. So does mixing with water and sucrose with heat produce a linked compound which is then soluble as some references say? Does addition of hydrochloric acid (stomach acid), cause it to hydrolyze making sodium glucate and or sodium fructate? I can find no references that speak of a sodium glucate NaC6H11O6, but only sodium gluconate NaC6H11O7 which is certainly not desirable.

I think some experimenting on this might prove interesting.

Marshall