Most non-nutritive sweeteners such as aspartame and sucralose trigger the insulin production as well. That is why diet soda's have been found by some researchers to cause more weight gain than soda's sweetened with sugar. It is my understanding that stevia has some additional substances which block this production of insulin. Thus it does not cause additional hunger from low blood sugar. I am guessing that some of the problems being reported are when refined stevia is used, these additional hormones or whatever they are, are not present.

I am NOT an expert on this, and have done relatively little research. I would highly recommend anyone wanting more information to do additional research themselves.

Marshall