Dee
  I think you have hit  on a problem that has concerned me for quite some
time about enormous amounts of Vit C being ingested. As you probably
already know, the man that promoted Vit C as a preventative  to vascular
problems, Dr Linus Pauling, died of cancer that he was trying to cure with
massive doses of Vit C.
  Vit C is an acid and cancer loves an acidic environment so extra large
doses at that time would be counter productive I would think.
  Another thought concerning Vit C is that it binds with Iodine and
deprives your thyroid of something it needs. The thyroid controls almost
every gland in your body and if not working properly can open a doorway to
many disorders.
  My thought is to take smaller amounts, enough to satisfy your needs,
maybe not enough to go beyond bowel tolerance. Bowel tolerance is a sign
you are overdoing  and the body is putting on the brakes before you do
damage.
  I spilled a drop of iodine on a painted windowsill , I tried to wipe it
off, that didn't affect it at all so I tried to wash it off with detergent
and that didn't affect it either, three months later it still looked like a
fresh spill so one night I laid a Vit C pill on the spot ,thinking I would
crush it and try to scrub up the stain if that would soften it a bit. Well
to my surprise the next morning the spot was gone and the area looked as if
I had possibly repainted it. The pill had turned a darker color. That was
proof to me of just how intensely Vit C
grabs iodine and removes it from your system.

Thoughts to ponder
Dave