I have seen a number of responses on this list as to current limiting,
polarity switching, etc.  But I have enough electrical/electronic experience
to know that there is many variables with this that needs covered.  Let me
relay my limited experience with this.
I was hunting a source of silver and decided that the easiest one to obtain
for me was bullion bars in the one troy ounce size.  I found these easily at
a coin dealer.  I cleaned them and then using alligator clamps above the
water line, put them into some distilled water with the clamps above the
surface of the water.  I used a wide mouthed pint Mason jar with the bars
opposite each other against the sides.  I have a DC bench power supply that I
connected to this and set it at 27 volts.  I turned the power supply on and
let this set up run for a few hours.  At the end of this time, the solution
was fairly clear and one of the bars had a fair build up of a dark flaky
surface I took to be silver.  I have taken this to mean that some silver was
deposited on this electrode.  From my reading on this list, I have come to
the conclusion that it came from a high current flow during the process.  I
reversed the polarity on the next run and the deposits came loose and dropped
into the bottom of the jar or floated to the top as thin flakes.  One
question I have is if the polarity is switched every minute, what happens to
these deposits?  Are they kept in solution as colloidal silver or are they
just dropped to the bottom anyway but with little build up on the electrodes?
I put a plastic lid on the jar and left the contents sit without the
electrodes in it till the next day.  The color turned a rich gold by then.  I
have no way to judge the PPM of this solution.  But what I would like to know
is, with the greater surface area of these bars and the distance between them
being different with different set ups, can one just use the current strength
as a judgment as to the silver being put into solution over a certain time
period?  And by keeping this at a lower rate, control the silver micron size
by lowering the "blast off" rate?  I have seen where some have inserted a
resistor to limit voltage/amperage in these setups.  Does this not slow down
the early formation of the solution when the resistance of the same is high?
Would not the control of the current be better as some have suggested along
with polarity switching?  It would seem to me that this would give better
control under the chances of other variables like electrode size, distance
apart, solution concentration, etc.  Am I correct in this reasoning?  In
doing this, it would seem that changes in electrode size and other factors
could be discounted more.
Thanks for any comments that those of you with more experience can give me.
I have been buying my colloidal silver for some time and I use it to control
infections as I have a chronic lung disease.  I have found that when I get an
infection that starts to limit my breathing, by putting colloidal silver in a
nebulizer setup, I can help keep these infections down and get relief
quickly.  Much more quickly than with antibiotics.  It has been a very
positive help for me.

Gene Downey