 From: "silver-digest-requ...@eskimo.com" <silver-digest-requ...@eskimo.com>
To: silver-dig...@eskimo.com
Sent: Sunday, December 15, 2013 8:02 AM
Subject: silver-digest Digest V2013 #330

PT wrote:
> Since Fukushima, what is everyone doing about seaweed?  Most of it
> must be contaminated by now.

I've been following the Fukushima situation ever since it happened. Just
last night I was studying whether and where to try to find seafood
that's still safe.

Looking at a chart from the NOAA showing major currents, it's apparent
-- to me, anyway -- that it's going to take some while for the
contaminated water of the northern Pacific to find it's way into the
North Atlantic to any meaningful extent.

Since the Bering Straight is only about 50 miles wide, there's not going
to be much transmission into the Arctic. That means that any major
contamination will have to travel all the way south (past the equatorial
currents) and pass through the Strait of Magellan at the tip of South
America, before it is able to contaminate any part of the Atlantic.

There's a gyre that circulates water clockwise around the North Pacific,
and the equatorial currents will act to at least somewhat slow the
contamination of the South Pacific. Meanwhile, there is surprisingly
little communication between the China Sea and the Indian Ocean, so that
it should take a while even for that ocean to take on serious
contamination.

So I'm thinking that knowing the source of your ocean products is
critically important, and avoiding anything from North Pacific fisheries
an absolute. However, it may in fact be decades before the Atlantic
becomes unsafe. Expect ocean products to triple in price, though, as
this unhappy reality finally sinks into the mass mind.

Be well,

Mike D.