Hi Dee, there's another possibility here; I don't know how your water is
delivered to your faucet, but one thing that can happen is that a little
air gets entrained into it, and as the pressure is released going from
your plumbing into a container, the air is released as microscopic
bubbles.  These are not the ones you see on the sides of a container
after you let the container stand - which are far from microscopic
anyway.  Rather they can make the water even seem cloudy, though the
effect dissipates, and even begins to form into those much larger ones
that collect on the container's surface.
Just a thought,  Malcolm

On Sun, 2014-10-19 at 11:02 +0100, Dee wrote:
> I make the distilled water myself and it has a 0 reading with my TDS
> meter.  The tap water has a reading of over 300.  The only thing might
> be, that I poured the distilled water into the jar which I make the CS
> in, without cleaning it out first as I thought this unnecessary.  I
> wouldn't have thought there would be enough particles left to cause a
> Tyndall effect though...dee
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 19 Oct 2014, at 00:54, Debra & David <alch...@kern.com.au> wrote:
>

> > The answer is simple. Neither your tap water nor your distilled
> > water is pure. Mains filtration plants are very good at removing
> > particles, hence you will often see no laser line. On the other hand
> > it probably still contains plenty of dissolved salts (invisible to a
> > laser) so if you used a meter in the mains water you would get a
> > significant reading.
> >
> > If your distilled water is displaying a laser line it contains fine
> > particles, so its either not distilled in the first place or its
> > being contaminated after distilling. Unless your glass jar is
> > obviously unclean its not likely to add significant particles to the
> > water.
> >
> > David

Archives: