On Sat, 13 Nov 1999 17:59:14 -0500, "Jeffrey A. Madore" <k...@uconect.net>
wrote:

>So does this mean it is ok to melt silver on a stainless steel surface?
>Someone mentioned pyrex. Would that take the heat without cracking?
>I tried a glazed ceramic tile and ended up with broken-tile-silver-soup!

It's up to you, your experiment! Obviously it can be done, silver melts before
SS does. These guys are talking about something else. Speaking about ceramics,
get a firebrick from a local brickyard and gouge a depression in it.
If you're using oxy-acetelyne I assume you're protecting your face and hands
and body with leather, shield and wool. (No sandals).
A search on the web for tin-can foundry will come up with interesting stuff, as
will the newsgroups
 rec.crafts.metalworking
and
 alt.crafts.blacksmithing
                                                                Chuck
Red meat isn't bad for you. Fuzzy blue-green meat is bad for you.