The fields you get are different when it is on and off.  When it is on, you are
getting a large magnetic field.  When it is off you are getting either virtually
nothing, or an electric field twice what you get when it is on, depending on
which direction the plug is inserted in the wall.  This if for US only, in
Europe
the direction of the plug makes no difference.

We know the magnetic field is bad, not sure about the electric field, but it
probably is as well.

Marshall