Methaemoglobinaemia can be due to chronic taking of  drugs like
phenacetin and to lack of an enzyme called methaemoglobin reductase. Apart
from a bluish
discolouration of the skin [cyanosis] in those patients with about 20 %
methaemo-
globin, these patients are well.  People over 50 always have some
methaemoglobin
in their blood. The cyanotic tinge may be modified by a concomitant dermatosis.
This
complicates the differential diagnosis of  the colouration of argyria.

        With regards
            Lew