Re: Measuring the color and absorbency of sols.
"If the particle size is so small as to not transmit a color, how would a
colorimeter possibly be used to accurately determine concentration?  There
is a direct contradiction here."
You react the Ag with substance(s) which create another compound in direct
proportion to the available silver, and then measure with a photodetector
how much light gets through.  It is usually expressed in "absorbance", or
how much light did not get through the sample.
One is the inverse of the other, but there is a math consideration which
makes absorbance easier to work with.
The color solution---in my case, a clear magenta/purple---can be eyeballed
 after some experience within a few PPM-mg/l after the color forms as the
silver is added to the prepared reagents.
In the pre-electronic age it was done by visually comparing the strength of
the color sample of the unknown with a stable prepared set of solutions in
sealed tubes representing various concentrations.
The instrument is zeroed to 100% transmission using a bleached [sodium
thiosulfate, same a photo bleach] sample of the reacted silver which is a
clear medium yellow, and the readout is set to Zero.  Then a test tube or
cuvette of the colored sample replaces the "blank" and the amount of light
absorbed is read.
The measurement is made with light of a specific frequency [expressed in nM
of wavelength; i.e. color]  so that you are only measuring that light
absorbed by the reaction product.
I know that I am calibrated correctly for Silver Nitrate [strongly ionized
monatomic Ag]  because I can take a sample of ACS grade silver nitrate
which has been diluted precisely with class A volumetric flasks and
precision pipettes to 4.0 mg/l and the Spec reads 4.0.  That is how I
created the slope on the graph with Absorbance up the X and concentration
on the Y axis, by measuring the absorbance of  6 different precise
dilutions .   This forms a "curve" which is really a straight line [the
process I am using is basically linear].  I used Excell [any spreadsheet,
graphing program will probably have the same function available] to do a
linear regression on the string of points to make a best-fit straight line
for the graph.
Bob Berger gave me a great tip.  Lacking a program to construct the line,
 view the dots representing the individual measurements at a very low
angle, [as in placing your head very near the surface on which the paper is
laying.   Your eye will 'see' the line through to dots well enough to do a
satisfactory linear regression by eyeball and brain.  You then draw it in.
At issue is the reactivity of the metal particles with the color-forming
reagents.
I do not know the precision available compared with AA spectroscopy, but it
is certainly good enough with wet chemistry to determine the Ag sol
concentration to at least a tenth of a mg/L.   With more sophisticated
instruments you can move the precision over to the right, but I am not sure
how far; I don't need it and could not afford it if  I did.
The present issue for me is:  Will the reagents I am using react fully with
the metallic particles, or, as some say, it must be reduced to ionized,
i.e. individual "dissolved" atoms of silver. Some say firmly one and others
firmly the other.
Other devices measure the amount of  and wavelength  of light refracted,
reflected, and absorbed with sensors at various angles to the incident
beam.  They then use a complex software algorithm to calculate particle
size.
Any input based on experience or a reference regarding digestion v no
digestion  will be welcome.
James Osbourne Holmes
a...@trail.com