coyote wrote:

>  ##Slightly off subject but may be enlightening....
>
>   There is a company near me that manufactures CS by the 55 gallon drum,
> sold bulk to repackagers.  I visited and asked questions.  They do not use
> and electrical process but something called a "Precipitate method".  The
> person i spoke to was very closed mouth about it.  The CS was a very deep
> bright yellow, almost  iridescent [ viewed through a half inch clear
> plastic tube] and was stored in what looked like a blue plastic pickle
> barrel like the local Mount Olive pickle company uses.

The precipitate method is what was used in the 30's.  It is the least expensive
method, and produces an inferior, possibly toxic, product.

Here is how it works.  You start with a salt of silver, most likely silver
nitrate, then add a base to it, such as sodium hydroxide (aka lye, draino).
The two react producing silver particles and sodium nitrate.

There are several problems with this.  First you now have sodium nitrate in the
sol, which ends up in the final material, or other processes must be used to
remove it.  Total remove is highly unlikely.  Also silver nitrate can still
remain, and this can cause argyria and is considered a poison.  If too much lye
is added, then there will be traces of what is basically drano in there as
well.

Added to this is that the particles are not charged up positively like in the
electrolytic process, then they will quickly aggregate and produce larger
particles, plus without the charge, they lose a lot of effectiveness.

Thus you end up with a product which has reduced effectiveness, reduced
stability, increased toxicity, and the possibility of it causing argyria.  But
it is very cheap to make this way.

Typical of big companies, damn the product, make it as cheap as possible.  No
wonder they are closed mouthed about it.

Marshall