Hi Ya'all,

Just thought it time to steer this list back to CS and its manufacture.

I appreciate all of the learned dissertations of the technical aspect
but the proof is in the CS, but us common folk need to have a common
language. Not like the Soviets and the USA arguing over democracy since
both were using different dictionaries.

The point being many of the "home brewers" are using the TDS1 and the
PWT (probably most are uncalibrated to something) to measure their
products and are calling the numbers read as ppm, instead of something
more like microSeimens.

Referring to "INSTRUMENTAL METHODS OF ANALYSIS" by Willard, Merrit, and
Dean, page 720, 7.4191 grams of KCl/Kg of DW will make a solution with a
conductance of 0.01117 @ 18 deg.C. and 0.01268 @ 25 deg.. C.

Since potassium chloride is not readily available why not do a little
math and substitute something like Morton's table salt. It is "good
enough" for home measuring.  With a little more home work for the
wizards convert the units into say 1/4 teaspoon and ounces of water.
Then increase the water content so that the people will have a 30
microSeimens standard.

When that happens then instead of some SWAG estimate of the
concentration of the silver ions they can speak of so many uS's at their
work temperature. The solution really is temperature sensitive. My
measurements show 1/6 uS per deg.. F. between 50 F. and 100 F.

I recognize that this smacks of standardization, but it really is need.

"Ole Bob"