Hi Bob,

Am I a learned dissertistisator?

Any way, what you propose is a good idea for those meters that read
out in MicroSeimens (uS), for those with TDS meters one would need to
find out the 'TDS' factor that is used to convert uS to ppm in the
meter circuitry. Many will be 0.5 but not all, they range up 2.5 I
believe.

Here is the method for making a standard for my Jenco conductivity
meter. Also using KCl.

To read 60.0uS of KCl in water.

0.744gm KCl dilute to 1L (0.01N solution) with distilled (deionised)
water.
Dilute 40ml of this to 1L.

Of course not many can measure 0.744 gm so we should up the weight by
ten to 7.44gm and up the dilution by the same.

So now it reads,

Dilute 7.44gm to 1L (approx. 1L)
Dilute 100ml of this to 1L (900ml)
Dilute 40ml of this to 1L (960ml) = 60uS

For pure NaCl to read 62uS

Dilute 5.84gm to 1L (approx. 1L)
Dilute 100ml of this to 1L (900ml)
Dilute 50ml of this to 1L = 62uS (950ml)

Suggest you have your chemist weigh out 7.44gm of KCl (potassium
chloride) or 5.84gm of NaCl (sodium chloride) and put it in a slip or
envelope.
Make sure you have an accurate measure to 100ml at least. (10 x 100ml
= 1L) if you get my drift. Remember one grain of salt in the final
dilution spells disaster!

Oh! by the way, most of these meters are temperature compensated.

Regards
Ivan.