You can ignore the assumption of equilibrium for a while.  That is, while highly
concentrated CO2 is bubbling up in the water the water will attempt to reach
equilibrium with the bubbles. Since CO2 is heavier than air, it will also tend
accumulate over the surface of the water if the air is still. Once the bubbling
stops, if the container is left open, then it should lose absorbed CO2 until it
reaches equilibrium with the air.

An easy way to determine if CO2 or another gas is involved is to simply place
the
sample in a vacuum chamber for a minute and pull all the gases out.  The same
can
be done by heating, but heating could cause other chemical changes.

Marshall