Hello James,
                            My apologies for this tardy response, but you are
aware of my time-based pressures.  They are obscene for one of my years.  I
have chosen to answer you with a  copy to the list......as some others may have
an interest also.
                            First, let me clarify that we have conducted no
formal studies ourselves.  However, we have conducted several anecdotal-type
evaluations,,,,,,especially on horses.  The laser pointers we have used are 5
MW in power.  Our laboratory instruments are HeNe type, and are 10 mw and 25 mw
respectively.  We have several LED arrays.  Some are 13, some 25, and some 50
elements in size.
                Do be advised, I AM NOT a pundit in matters relating to either
LEDT or LLLT.   This being the case, do understand I have no position....or
verifiable proof.....that one methodology is superior to the other.  People
seem to become somewhat polarized on the merits of one----or the other, as
being superior.
                Useful studies are not very numerous, but I will list several
we found of pertinence, both for comparing the effectivity of LEDs versus
LLLTs..........and for the general information furnished:
                    1.  Gupta, et al.  Journal of Dermatological Treatment
(1997)  This study relates to the use of non-coherent light (LEDs) for
addressing damage on superficial structures (e.g. skin, epithelial tissues and
very shallow muscle tissue insults).  The results, using 660 nm incoherent
light, were very positive on slow-healing wounds.
                    2.   Several studies, of which I do not have access here at
home, have been conducted which seem to confirm that LLLT is markely superior
to LEDT for relieving chronic, deep-seated, pain through raising the ACTH and
endorphin levels-----where LEDT gives little.....or no response.
                    3.  Some researchers have reported positive results using a
combination of  LLLT  and LEDT.  e.g. Laser Therapy, 1998, Vol. 10, No.3.  For
pain and wound healing.
                    4.  LLLT arrays have demonstrated their superiority in
addressing severe, non-healing ulcers, among diabetics.  Journal  of British
Podiatric Medicine, 1991, Oct.., 186-189.
                    5.  Another study of possible consequence is:  Jilliane
James.  Primary Care.  Care Vol. 410.  1997;  pages 18-20.  Topic.  Use of
Laser Therapy on Non-healing Wounds.
                    6.  The most pronounced claim, to date, favoring LLLT over
LEDT seems to be that made by Tina Karu (1998:  The Science of Low-Power Laser
Therapy), wherein she states,  "the coherence of light is of no importance in
low-power laser clinical effects" and "the primary difference between lasers
and LEDs is that the laser"s coherent beam produces "speckles" of relatively
high power density which can cause local heating of inhomogeneous tissues".
                    I have a couple more general comments, before I end this
extended epistle.
The general view among our more knowledgeable staff is that LED arrays are very
effective for open wounds and large-area amorphous swellings (e.g. impact
trauma, near-surface hematomas).  Additionally, LEDs give measureable relief in
cases of tightened lean-muscle tissues.  These conditions prevail for large
domestic mammals (e.g. horses and cows), as well as human volunteers.  Although
large LED arrays (>100 bulbs) will trigger  IR detectors on the opposite side
of the human hand.....demonstrating considerable power of penetration----they
do not seem to yield the degree of pain- relief or the rapid, beneficial,
deep-tissue and nerve response modifications-----as do 10 mw, and greater, LLLT
devices.
                    I hope these observations are of value to you.
                                    Sincerely, Brooks.