----- Original Message -----
From: <rogalt...@aol.com>

> Ivan:
>
> You said,
>
>  "If one strikes an arc in moist air (as found above a body of water),
>  ozone and nitric acid are formed."
>
> During sputtering I smell virtually no ozone. I am interested in your
idea
> about nitric acid though. I may submit a sample for analysis. But
before I
> do, I'd like you to tell me the difference in taste between my HVAC CS
with a
> pH of 4 or so, and a sample of laboratory grade nitric acid made to pH
~4. If
> you agree to a taste test, I'll submit my HVAC CS for nitric acid
analysis.

The fact that you have generated an arc necessarily means that you have
ionised the air. This can be achieved by as little as 50 V. By ionising
air you are creating ozone. Whether you can smell it or not is not a
reliable guage of its production or concentration.
It is a fact that the biggest problem that faces ozone generators using
undried atmospheric air is the production of nitric acid.
I have no desire to experience the taste of dilute nitric acid :-b
Whether you test for nitric acid is up to you.

> Then you said,
>
> "If you use silver electrodes the silver will be sputtered as silver
ions and
> silver oxide."
>
> I'm afraid I'll have to disagree here as well. It can be demonstrated
quite
> easily that silver oxide is unstable at sputtering temperatures. As
far a
> producing silver ions in the arc goes, I have not run across any
evidence
> that an electropotential that is barely high enough to ionize air, is
> anywhere near the electropotential required to ionize silver. If you
have
> some data that confirms the production of silver ions at ~10,000 volts
please
> pass it along.

The 1st ionization potential of silver (7.576 eV) is less than that of
oxygen (13.618 eV).
Yes, silver oxide is unstable at >150 degC, but the silver oxide which
contacts the water is from then on stable. Furthermore, "The pH of
silver colloids should fall between 6.5 and 8 because increasing amounts
of silver oxide will appear as the pH of the solution falls below 6.5
and silver oxide is a less effective bactericide than pure silver." (The
Silver Institute).

> And finally you said,
>
>  "The ozone will most likely become H2O2 where it reacts with
water,..."

> Oh boy, I know I'm on thin ice now, but I'm not likely to agree with
you here
> as well. I sampled a very small amount of 3% H2O2 in my mouth a few
weeks
> ago. A very ugly experience. Again, my HVAC CS tastes a lot like
water. So
> how much H2O2 could I have made, particularly when I never smelled any
ozone
> in the first place?

I don't know Roger. I answered Bob's question about what might be
causing such a high conductivity reading with a comparatively low silver
content. Something is also causing the low pH (assuming he started with
~pH7 water), I suggest that H2O2 and nitric acid may be contributing
factors.

BTW, I regularly use 3% H2O2 to clean my teeth ;-)

> Roger

Regards,
Ivan