<< Subj:     Re: CS> HVAC
 Date:  00-06-05 01:14:27 EDT
 From:  i...@win.co.nz (Ivan Anderson)
 To:    silver-list@eskimo.com

 ----- Original Message -----
 From: <rogalt...@aol.com>

 > Ivan:
 >
 > You said,
 >
 >  "If one strikes an arc in moist air (as found above a body of water),
 >  ozone and nitric acid are formed."
 >
 > During sputtering I smell virtually no ozone. I am interested in your
 idea
 > about nitric acid though. I may submit a sample for analysis. But
 before I
 > do, I'd like you to tell me the difference in taste between my HVAC CS
 with a
 > pH of 4 or so, and a sample of laboratory grade nitric acid made to pH
 ~4. If
 > you agree to a taste test, I'll submit my HVAC CS for nitric acid
 analysis.

 The fact that you have generated an arc necessarily means that you have
 ionised the air. This can be achieved by as little as 50 V. By ionising
 air you are creating ozone. Whether you can smell it or not is not a
 reliable guage of its production or concentration.
 It is a fact that the biggest problem that faces ozone generators using
 undried atmospheric air is the production of nitric acid.
 I have no desire to experience the taste of dilute nitric acid :-b
 Whether you test for nitric acid is up to you.

IVAN: WELL YOU PEAKED MY CURIOSITY TO ANALYZE MY HVAC CS FOR NITRIC ACID.

 > Then you said,
 >
 > "If you use silver electrodes the silver will be sputtered as silver
 ions and
 > silver oxide."
 >
 > I'm afraid I'll have to disagree here as well. It can be demonstrated
 quite
 > easily that silver oxide is unstable at sputtering temperatures. As
 far a
 > producing silver ions in the arc goes, I have not run across any
 evidence
 > that an electropotential that is barely high enough to ionize air, is
 > anywhere near the electropotential required to ionize silver. If you
 have
 > some data that confirms the production of silver ions at ~10,000 volts
 please
 > pass it along.

 The 1st ionization potential of silver (7.576 eV) is less than that of
 oxygen (13.618 eV).

IVAN: DO YOU HAVE A REFERENCE THAT DEMONSTRATES THE PRODUCTION OF METAL IONS
FROM A 10,000 VOLT ARC?

Yes, silver oxide is unstable at >150 degC, but the silver oxide which
 contacts the water is from then on stable.

IVAN: THE RAPID QUENCHING THAT TAKES PLACE WILL VIRTUALLY ELIMINATE THE
PRODUCTION OF SILVER OXIDE.

Furthermore, "The pH of silver colloids should fall between 6.5 and 8 because
increasing amounts of silver oxide will appear as the pH of the solution
falls below 6.5
 and silver oxide is a less effective bactericide than pure silver." (The
 Silver Institute).

 > And finally you said,
 >
 >  "The ozone will most likely become H2O2 where it reacts with
 water,..."

 > Oh boy, I know I'm on thin ice now, but I'm not likely to agree with
 you here
 > as well. I sampled a very small amount of 3% H2O2 in my mouth a few
 weeks
 > ago. A very ugly experience. Again, my HVAC CS tastes a lot like
 water. So
 > how much H2O2 could I have made, particularly when I never smelled any
 ozone
 > in the first place?

 I don't know Roger. I answered Bob's question about what might be
 causing such a high conductivity reading with a comparatively low silver
 content. Something is also causing the low pH (assuming he started with
 ~pH7 water), I suggest that H2O2 and nitric acid may be contributing
 factors.

IVAN: ANALYZING FOR NITRIC ACID SHOULD BE A GOOD FIRST STEP IN SOLVING THE
PUZZLE. THANKS.

ROGER

 BTW, I regularly use 3% H2O2 to clean my teeth ;-)

 > Roger

 Regards,
 Ivan