Hi Marshall,

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000 13:37:50 -0400, Marshall Dudley
<mdud...@execonn.com> wrote:

>samma...@aol.com wrote:

>> DU weapons are not conventional weapons. They are highly toxic, radioactive
>> weapons. All international law on warfare has attempted to limit violence to
>> combatants and to prevent the use of cruel and unfocused weapons.
>> International agreements and conventions have tried to protect civilians and
>> non-combatants from the scourge of war and to outlaw the destruction of the
>> environment and the food supply in order to safeguard life on earth.
>
>I have checked and I admit I was wrong.  It is not as radioactive as the
>potassium
>40 in a banana (about 1/4 as much), but it is a long half life heavy metal.
>U238
>is an alpha. beta and X-Ray emitter.

The "scare" site is wrong, you (Marshall) are correct.

This is what http://www.stats.org/newsletters/9803/du.htm says:
   ************************************
Depleted Understanding

"A new study today suggests that as many as 400,000 American troops
may have been exposed to particles of something called depleted
uranium during the Gulf War. It is a nonradioactive metal used to make
shells and bombs, and exposure to large amounts of it can cause kidney
problems."
    -- Peter Jennings, ABC World News Tonight, March 2, 1998

"The report estimates that three out of four American troops in Kuwait
and Saudi Arabia during and just after the Gulf War may have been
exposed to depleted uranium. ... Allied troops frequently inspected
and climbed on Iraqi tanks that had been hit with the radioactive
depleted uranium shells."
      -- Brian Cabell, CNN The World Today, March 2, 1998

Does it glow or doesn't it? Ever since depleted uranium (DU) shells
and armor plating made their live combat debut during the Gulf War in
1991, they seem to have baffled journalists. Now that DU has been
implicated as a possible suspect in the debate over Gulf War Syndrome,
its properties and characteristics have generated even more attention
-- and confusion.

When U-235 (the highly fissionable isotope used to make bombs) is
extracted from uranium ore, the remaining byproduct is U-238, uranium
that has been "depleted" of its powerfully radioactive component.
Because uranium is extremely dense (significantly more so than lead)
it is useful in military roles, both as armor, and as a munition to
penetrate armor.

Here's where the misunderstanding starts. News accounts of
"uranium-tipped" shells "burning through" tank armor give the
impression that radioactivity gives the DU shells their punch. Not so.
Because of its density, DU packs more mass into the same amount of
space, thus minimizing air resistance and delivering more kinetic
energy, for the same reason a bullet made of lead has greater impact
than, for instance, one made of tin. It's not a different kind of
ammunition (as an atomic bomb differs in kind from a conventional
one), it's just a more effective one.

The Defense Department has gone to great lengths to emphasize that
these weapons involve traditional kinetic energy, as opposed to any
sort of nuclear or radiological energy. This is the interpretation
that Peter Jennings seems to have accepted, although it is not
entirely accurate. In fact, DU is still radioactive. U-238 is itself
radioactive and, even in its depleted state, contains minute traces of
the highly fissionable U-235 isotope.

Thousands of military personnel were "exposed to" radioactive DU
during the Gulf War, while handling shells, riding in tanks, etc.
Fortunately, the radioactivity is so faint that mere exposure to it
poses little discernible health risk to humans. The material is still
radioactive but, when manufactured into armor and anti-tank shells,
not dangerously so.

Unfortunately, war is not neat, and this leads to an additional issue
that remains still scientifically unsettled. When DU shells explode
into enemy armor, and also when they penetrate DU armor in "friendly
fire" incidents (which happened on at least one disastrous occasion
during the Gulf War), a quantity of the DU burns and oxidizes into
minute particles. These particles create an airborne dust that can be
inhaled or ingested. In addition to the danger posed by the slight
residual radioactivity (i.e., particles lodging in the lungs could
eventually lead to cancer), uranium as a heavy metal is quite toxic,
and can lead to kidney failure and other health problems.

Of course, lead, tungsten and other metals used in armor and armaments
are also rather unhealthy to ingest, and they are a major source of
wartime health effects.

In sum, coverage of the health effects of depleted uranium must
distinguish among three sets of health risks. Yes, DU is radioactive,
but it is not a "nuclear" or "radiological" weapon. No, it is not
particularly dangerous in its standard military form; merely being in
proximity to DU-armored tanks is unlikely to harm anyone. But exposure
to the airborne dust resulting from its use in combat can be harmful.

Though not, one suspects, as harmful as being on the receiving end of
a DU barrage.

-- Dean -- from (almost) Duh Moines  (CDP, KB0ZDF)