I mentioned this application of Bentonite for Poison Ivy to my wife -- she
related that a friend got lead toxicity from bentonite.  Our Naturopath
explained that there are many grades of bentonite.  He recommended only
pharmaceutical grade bentonite, not food grade.

I don't know much about the factors involved but I did a search on the terms
"bentonite" and  "pharmaceutical" and got back hundreds of pages.  One of
them, Southern Clay Products, at http://www.gelwhite.com/phar/index.html
shows several different pharmaceutical grade bentonite products:
One of them, GELWHITE HNF lists 0.884 ppm lead.
They seem to indicate the limit for Pharmaceutical grade is 40 ppm, and the
limit for Purified Pharmaceutical Bentonite is 15 ppm.  These are CFTA
guidelines, whatever that is.

I found some info on Dr. Schulze's detox program at
http://www.projectenlightenment.com/schulze1.html
he lists pharmaceutical grade bentonite as one of the ingredients.

Don't have any more info now, but it bears checking out further.

Rex