Tim Eastman wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> I know  we have had discussion of salts here quite recently but I paid it no
> mind until some friends of mine gave me some instructions for making a
> generator and the ensuing recipe for CS.
>
> I have two questions;
> 1.) the 'recipe' calls for a 1/4 tsp of SEA salt (no table salt) for an 8oz
> batch of CS to "start" the conductance. I have read on-list to not use ANY
> salt including sea salt because salts produce nitrates (did I get that
> right?) and the sea salt is usually questionable in purity. So that first
> question is this - do I use the 1/4tsp SEA salt per 8oz Distilled water for
> conductance or just go strait D-water?

No, do not add any salt.  If you want better conduction to start then seed it
with a little of the previous batch's CS.  Regular salt is bad, it can cause the
production of silver chloride, but sea salt is worse, it has a lot of other
salts in it such as sodium fluoride, which could produce silver fluoride, a
deadly poison.

Marshall