You say that hemlock is neither an herb nor a tree.  Purdue University
disagrees with you.  See http://vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/

POISON HEMLOCK  Conium maculatum  (parsnip family)
TOXICITY RATINGS: Moderate to high.
DANGEROUS PARTS OF PLANT: All parts, especially young leaves and seeds.
CLASS OF SIGNS: Nervousness, trembling, incoordination, depression,
coma, death, birth defects.
SIGNS: . Humans are often poisoned, mistaking the roots for parsnips,
the leaves for parsley, or the seeds for anise.

I am not going to argue buckeye pod.

You say that nightshade is eaten by the Greeks.  That doesn't make it
non-poisoning.  Some people play Russian Roulette.   That's not too
smart either.

BLACK NIGHTSHADE  Solanum nigrum,  Carolina Horsenettle, Bull Nettle,
Solanum carolinense
BITTER NIGHTSHADE, CLIMBING BITTERSWEET  Solanum dulcamara  (nightshade
family)
TOXICITY RATING: Moderate. While the plant itself is very toxic, it is
also unpalatable, and rarely does an animal consume enough to cause a
serious or potentially lethal poisoning. Toxic risk is higher if the
plant is included in processed feeds.
DANGEROUS PARTS OF PLANT: All parts are potentially toxic, the berries
are often higher in toxicity.

You said "The obvious part - the seed or pod - may not be the part that
is valuable - many are valuable for the bark of the tree

So what has that to do with what the bible says we can eat?

 You say "oleander has a seed pod but not 'fruit' and it is a shrub not
a tree - have seen sheep graze on oleander with no effect.

First, a seed pod contains seeds.  Second, did God differentiate between
bushes and trees?  I think not. You may have seen sheep graze on
oleander.  Than doesn't make oleander less poisonous.

OLEANDER (Nerium oleander)
COMMON NAME: Rose bay.
POISONOUS PARTS: Entire plant especially the leaves.
POISONING: If ingested may experience pain in the mouth and lips, may
also develop vomiting, cramping, abdominal pain, nausea and bradycardia
shortly after ingestion.

You say: Also I need a threat to hold over my husband -  "~ else I'll
stir your tea with an oleander stick...!"

Ah!  A display of true Christian love

Erwin