----- Original Message -----
From: <itssu...@aol.com>
To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2000 12:56 AM
Subject: CS>CS>Bitter tasting CS

> Several times I have gotten a nasty and biter tasting CS type stuff.  It
was
> because of the water.  Throw it OUT!!!! Use only a high quality distilled
> water.  One time when I got this reddish murky stuff, I left the CS
generator
> rods in the water too long, and it ruined it.  Also Salt seems to ruin it.
> The timing seems to be slightly different, depending on the distilled
water
> used, but usually around 8-12 minutes, and the color is a very slight
cloudy
> and then has a very light clear yellow color the next day.  Don't have any
> fancy measuring equipment, but the color tells me if it seems OK.  Also
the
> taste is not bitter, there is a distinct taste (slightly mediciny
aftertaste)
> but nothing bitter.  Maybe the experts here will have some better ideas.
> suzy

Regarding using salt as a "starter" for CS: an engineer friend tested the
germicidal properties of CS made identically with and without salt, and he
found that the salt actually DECREASED its germicidal abilities. He either
heats the distilled water, or uses a pinch of baking soda to get a good
quality CS. I have never used soda, but do bring the water to just under a
boil.

Nina