You could use natural gas as a blanket.  Methane should work as well as CO2,
and not
require any bottles, and would probably be a lot cheaper.  Just make sure that
all
the oxygen is out of the chamber before you strike the arc or you may be
picking up
pieces of the chamber from all over the room.  Also be sure to light the exit
of the
gas or pipe it outside for safety.  Propane and butane should work as well.

Marshall