Hi Tracy,

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 19:37:44 +1300, "Nick Grant" <nwgr...@inet.net.nz>
wrote:

>This is bound to sound silly but I am booked in to have a root canal filling
>done next Tuesday.

At one time, I had a total of about 20 root canals in my mouth.  All
very competently done, with none of the "root canal pain" and swelling
most people seem to experience.

Eventually, I got older.  :)  And apparently my immune system was
compromised enough so that I started getting sick, eventually to the
point of getting a severe chronic sinus infection (fungus,
apparently).  Part of the reason, IMO, was the root canals.

>Please tell me what is so bad about them?

Root canals clear out the infection from the nerve and main blood
supply to a tooth.  But ... since teeth are porous, the infection
remains inside the tooth (you don't feel it because the nerve isn't
there).  There is no way to eliminate the infection from inside the
tooth -- and the body will continue to fight an infection it can't get
rid of.

>The amalgam
>doesn't go near the root, so apart from the normal scary amalgam fillings,
>which I have a mouthful of, tell me what it is, factually, supposed to do to
>me.

Slowly make you sick.

-- Dean -- from (almost) Duh Moyn  (CDP, KB0ZDF)