Also along the line of anecdotal evidence:
 A friend came down with a sore throat after an camping trip with several
friends. I gave him a spray bottle of CS and an 8 oz bottle.  He inhaled
and gargled just a little every couple of hours. His sore throat was better
the next day and all symptoms vanished in 3 days. All his friends who went
to the doc for diagnosis and treatment were bedridden and sick for 2 weeks.
They had strep.  Did my friend have strep?  I dunno.
 Ken