Thanks Trem,
Thats just the info that I was looking for and I hope that everyone takes the
time to read your post.  I'll be ordering one of those PWT's shortly. Regards,
Robert Bartell ----- Original Message -----
  From: Trem
  To: silver-list@eskimo.com
  Sent: Friday, November 03, 2000 12:43 AM
  Subject: Re: CS Tester??

  Hi List,

  The TDS-1 reads from 0-999 with an accuracy of +/- 2% of full scale so that
means it could be off as much as 20 PPM at any reading.  If you're trying to
read 5-20 PPM it's obvious that accuracy is not acceptable.  Then there is the
fact that it is a total dissolved solids device and CS is not dissolved.  So,
the TDS-1 is NO GOOD for measuring CS.  Not only that, many other CS generator
companies (www.utopiasilver.com and www.libertymall.com as mentioned in the
post below) are selling it for about $40 when it lists for $14.90.  I would say
that's a LARGE and exorbitant markup.  Also, some companies selling other TDS
meters at inflated prices with a scale of 0-1999 with +/- 2% accuracy which
would give a tolerance of 40 PPM.  Still not acceptable.

  The PWT is a conductance meter and reads from 0-99.9 with an accuracy of +/-
2% making this unit the one to buy.  It can only be off as much as 2 PPM.  Very
acceptable for our work.  We have had samples of our CS analyzed using the
atomic absorption method and compared those results with PWT readings.  The PWT
readings were consistently within 10-15% of the AA readings.

  We are an authorized distributor and sell the PWT at the Hanna factory price
of $44.50.  Note we do not inflate factory prices.  This is a quality device.
Get more info on our site by clicking on the PPM page
http://www.silvergen.com/ppm.htm

  Even though we are a commercial site and Mike doesn't want us to advertise,
the information I'm presenting here is something that should be known by those
people considering buying a TDS-1.  Don't do it......

  If you want really accurate measurements of CS PPM, then AA or
spectrophotometer tests are more accurate but the PWT will give you many
thousands of readings at a reasonable price and quite good accuracy.  Just
subtract the initial water reading from the end reading and take 85-90% of that
for your PPM.  Example: Your DW reads 1.5.  Your end result reads 11.5.  The
difference is 10.0 and 85-90% of that is 8.5 to 9.0.  That's your PPM and it
should be plenty close enough for "government  work".   And the PWT readings
are highly repeatable.  This is a quality instrument.

  Trem
  www.silvergen.com