Hi Mike,

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 12:46:20 +0000, "M. G. Devour"
<mdev...@eskimo.com> wrote:

>> > The next question is: How can I build in a fuse or
>> > breaker to prevent any possibility of my clients (or
>> > myself) getting electrocuted in case of accident?
>>
>> I've never heard of a small AC-DC transformer shorting 120VAC to the
>> output; they only die, to my knowledge...
>
>Would it be too disruptive just to put a resistor in series with the
>output as a worst case current limit? Select the value such that it
>limits current to a non-lethal value at 120 volts, while only dropping
>a little voltage at the design output level.

A 10,000 ohm resistor is good.  It will limit the current to about 12
milliamps at 120 volts.  It's noticeable (so you can disconnect), but
not life threatening.

>Another easy alternative is to put a zener diode "crowbar" circuit on
>the output. This consists of a low current fuse in series with one or
>both of the supply output leads, and a zener diode connected between
>the + and - leads after the fuses.
>
>This setup causes the fuse(s) to blow if the output voltage exceeds the
>zener's reverse bias breakdown voltage, or if the polarity of the
>supply should reverse, either of which will cause the zener to conduct.

Yup.  That's about the best way to do it from a line-voltage supply
without getting into double isolation (two transformers, with a
regulated DC supply in between).

-- Dean -- from (almost) Duh Moyn  (CDP, KB0ZDF)