Dear List,
I had a terrifying experience on Wednesday.  We are isolated, have a
very long driveway and an alarm that goes off when people are 50 yards
or so into our property.

Well the alarm went off and I thought my husband had arrived home -
but he didn't come in.  So I went out and there was a van parked in
our gateway against the closed gate and two men were wandering around.
I shouted to them and they disappeared amongst our trees.  I went up
to the gate thinking I'd honk their horn and find out what was going
on - the vehicle was locked, no men in sight - then I realised the
house was wide open and I was a long way from It!  I got back inside,
locked everything and called the police - they said they were 25 mins
away.  So I phoned neighbours [2- 3 miles away] and my husband at
work. Anyway after everyone arrived and I calmed down - I was hit by
the most tremendous back pain and once I'd killed that off with large
doses of MSM I had a whopper migraine.

The migraine reaction I understood - but the back pain?  That was most
unexpected - yes my back is my weakest part - I've had a disc
removed - but this pain was unlike any I've had before - it was the
whole width of my back from the waist down.  Very triple ouch!

I had the rego number - the police said we were being cased - the van
was just gone when police and husband arrived - almost together.  The
men circumvented the alarm on their way out - and a neighbour who had
customers at his business couldn't leave but said another neighbour
going past had seen the men on the other side of the road going over
to another property... where I know no-one was home.  They were
carrying a petrol can - the police told us that was just a trick - a
vehicle does not run out of petrol in a stranger's gateway!  They run
out on the side of the road... we've seen enough breakdowns over the
years to know that.

Fortunately our neighbour network is alive and well.  The one that
could come, turned up with a bag hook under her arm as a weapon!  The
police laughed when they saw what she was carrying.  My husband says I
need to learn to use the gun so I can send off a warning shot into the
ground...  I tried to shoot a sparrow in a cage once with an air
rifle, and it took ten shots before I could hit it.

Judith.