The saline is to get initial conductivity up so the process will start
faster.  Getting things going is what takes the most time.  A better way is
to use some of a previous batch of CS.
 Hotter water conducts electricity better, so things get going faster,
therefore, higher PPM for a given time.
 If you use the salt, you'll probably get a milky looking result and
possibly silver chloride.
 The CS turns yellow in process because it is made too fast.  The particles
are not given time to properly hydrate and will clump together into larger
particles.  Constant stirring helps speed up hydration so the CS can be
made faster and stay colorless but even that has some limits.

 It's unlikely that that uncontrolled generator will make a colorless small
particle CS beyond about 5 PPM due to "runaway".
Ken