Marshall wrote:

> I think most of us have reached the conclusion that colloidal silver is more
> effective than ionic silver for killing pathogens.  But
> I wonder about topical application.  CS would I believe deposit on the skin
> without any penetration.  But silver ions should be able
> to migrate into the tissues.  Silver ions have been shown to be effective in
> healing, in fact reverting cells back to stem cells in
> injured areas, a very important consideration for injuries and burns.
>
> So I am wondering what is really best for something like a burn.  The CS
> would be best for fighting the surface infection, but might
> not the ions be necessary for the best healing as well, both from the
> standpoint of penetration and the stem cell healing effect?
>
> Have you done any experiments to address this at all?

I have not done any experiments, but I have a few reports from people who have
applied high particle concentration (15 ppm particles) colloidal silver to
burns. They report that the pain was relieved within 30 minutes, and there was
no swelling or blistering. The colloid in question had very little ionic silver
content (less than 20%) and the particles were less than 2 nm diameter.

Keep in mind that ionic silver applied to the skin quickly dries. In doing so,
the silver ions are converted to silver oxide which is nearly insoluble in
water. I believe that this would result in a film of silver oxide deposited on
the surface of the skin. The silver oxide would most likely form into particles
in the 1 to 3 nm diameter range. These are the same particles that appear in a
TEM image when highly ionic silver is the subject of observation.

Colloidal silver that has a high particle concentration will dry into a film of
metallic silver particles deposited on the surface of the skin. If the particle
size was 1 nm in the colloidal state, the particles on the skin would likewise
be 1 nm.

In either case, I believe that particles that small would be absorbed into the
skin to some extent. The size of these particles compared to skin cells is
infinitesimally small.

frank key