From: rogalt...@aol.com [mailto:rogalt...@aol.com]
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2001 2:24 PM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: CS>Ions vs Particles

  In a message dated 9/28/2001 2:07:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
squi...@silver.nxlkhost.com writes:

    Roger,
    we are already talking about very dilute systems.  10ppm is one part per
100,000.  So ionic impurities take on greater proportionate values..
    Stephen

  Stephen: No, the more dilute a solution, the more ideally it behaves.
That's why we're in very good shape using solution theory to make these
kinds of estimates. Even at concentrations which are significantly greater
than dilute (16,000 PPM Ag+, for example), solubility product calculations
are still reasonably accurate. In addition, thermodynamic "theory" holds for
concentrated solutions. The only difference is that one has to obtain values
(usually through experimentation, but sometimes approximated through
thermodynamic and other types of modeling) for the activity coefficients in
question. Complex systems, however, are another story. Feel free to wring
your hands when it comes to solving a system of equations for them. Roger