Let's look at how your hormones affect thrush. The endocrine system governs
the
acid-alkaline balance in the vagina. Normally it is kept slightly acidic,
but if
the endocrine system decides to raise the pH level (making it alkaline), the
vaginal wall becomes less hospitable to the bacteria that live there. They
die,
and the vacated space is filled by an organism that likes an alkaline
environmentl i.e. thrush. This is why to get rid of thrush permanently, you
need
to return the vagina to its natural acidic state. Go gently - drastic
treatment
will certainly banish the thrush, but a sudden vacuum will be quickly filled
by
an opportunistic strain of bacteria that will bring as many problems as the
thrush. You also need to discover why your endocrine system is altering the
acid-alkaline balance (e.g. are you taking HRT or other corticosteroids?)
and
let the body get back to the balance that it wants to maintain for your good
health.

Relationship with candida?
Let's return to the factors that members thought might have caused their
candida, and look at one way that they might disrupt the endocrine system
(undoubtedly there are others too). Corticosteroids, dental mercury amalgam
and
chemicals such as dry cleaning materials, carpet sprays, plastics, paints
and
pesticides can all jam oestrogen receptors. Oestrogen is a hormone that is
made
in the ovaries (in pre-menopausal females), in the adrenals (in men and in
post-menopausal women), in fat cells and in the bowels. As oestrogen and its
opposite number progesterone are particularly important in a female, we
would
expect any imbalance to have more effects on the female than male. In
addition,
both of these hormones have more mundane functions (in both sexes) such as
controlling the bladder, bowel functioning, blood sugar regulation. In fact,
all
of the symptoms of candida mentioned earlier, including weight gain, asthma
etc.
can result from hormonal imbalance.

Effect of blocked oestrogen receptors?
The exact effect is unknown. Depending on which receptors are blocked and
what
activity the receptor was governing, the net result could be excess or
insufficient oestrogen. Excess oestrogen is a cancer risk e.g. for breast
cancer. Progesterone dominance (low oestrogen) can cause headaches,
migraines,
depression, blood sugar irregularities leading to asthma and adrenal gland
exhaustion leading to allergies particularly environmental allergies. Low
body
temperature (but normal thyroid tests) are another sign of adrenal
dysfunction.
So we find that all of our symptoms listed earlier are signs of an endocrine
disorder. Interesting!

Why do antibiotics bring on candida?
Antibiotics can be the final straw that breaks the camel's back. We have
already
seen how the presence of antibiotics can cause the vagina to become more
alkaline predisposing thrush. Short term antibiotics can have another effect
as
oestrogen is passed into the intestines in bile fluids for conversion to a
more
active form by bacterial action. (In other words, gut bacteria allow you to
make
maximum use of your available oestrogen). Broad-spectrum antibiotics kills
the
bacteria stopping this process. The level of oestrogen plummets below that
necesary. Repeated doses of antibiotics can disrupt the endocrine system
similar
to corticosteroids.

Effect of candida on the endocrine system
Once candida has overgrown, it can bind to hormones changing their ;key'
shape
so they are unable to fit 'lock' in their receptor. This effectively
inactivates
the circulating hormone, making all endocrine problems ten times worse.

What is the APICH syndrome?
Autoimmune Polyendocrinopathy Immune-dysregulation Candidosis
Hypersensitivity
syndrome. This syndrome was identified in the USA in the 1980s as an
endocrine
disorder afflicting all really difficult-to-treat candida patients. It is
far
more prevalent in females. (We covered the details in our Factsheet 005, but
note that symptoms include ovarian, thyroid and adrenal insufficiency).

Summary of the argument
We are suggesting that candida is a side-effect of an endocrine disorder
(hormonal imbalance). It is a continuum with thrush at one end and the APICH
syndrome at the other - most severe - end. The primary mechanism may be the
blocking of oestrogen receptors, although there will be others too. This
hypothesis provides an explanation for the male-female imbalance. Blocked
oestrogen receptors can lead to a relative dominance of progesterone, a
hormone
candida loves. Once candida has taken hold, it can further disrupt the
endocrine
system by inactivating circulating hormones. The immune system attacks the
candida and the candida retaliates weakening it, but the disruption is
primarily
in the endocrine system.

Steps to recovery
If we accept the premise that candida may be an endocrine disorder, then the
key
to getting rid of candida for good is to stop this imbalance. In further
editions of the Candida Digest, we will investigate how to do this in
detail.
Here, we outline an approach.

Step One: As candida aggravates any endocrine disorder, reduce candida
overgrowth. Classic candida therapy has four aspects to it:

1. Diet, restricting banned foodstuffs including allergens.
2. Anti-fungals to kill the candida - there are good quality herbal
alternatives.
3. Repopulation of the digestive tract with good bacteria e.g. acidophilus.
4. Dietary supplements as needed to boost the immune system and help with
digestion.

All practitioners have their own regime which they advocate. We provide
general
guidelines to all members, and individual support on request.

Step Two: Consider how you have disrupted your endocrine system. You are
unlikely to get well if the disruption is ongoing e.g. by taking the
contraceptive pill or HRT. You may want to take expert advice on
alternatives.
We particularly recommend this if you are menopausal.

Step Three: If you can't work out what may have caused your candida (or are
undecided how to proceed) you may benefit from expert help. We can help you
find
a practitioner, many of whom are using electronic machines to take the
guesswork
out of identifying causes.

Step Four: Get tested - don't self-diagnose. If you see a good practitioner,
they will order tests if they are necessary, or your GP may be willing to do
so.
There are some fabulous tests available now, we particularly like Great
Smokies'
28 day saliva test, Female Hormone Profile. The results are given in an
easy-to-understand format. Please don't assume that you are low in oestrogen
just because you are a female in your forties - remember that high oestrogen
is
a cancer risk, so you need to be sure!

Step Five: If you discover that dental mercury amalgam is poisoning your
system,
be sure to follow the correct procedure to remove ALL mercury from your
body. If
you don't, then changing your fillings is unlikely to give you the health
improvement that you are hoping for. The body will not give up mercury if it
is
deficient in any mineral, so address that in advance of treatment. After the
fillings have been changed, the mercury has to be removed from the blood and
then from receptor sites. There are various protocols for doing this - we
can
put members in touch with the Mercury Amalgams Helpline.

Step Six: If you are sure that your oestrogen level is suboptimal, there are
number of herbal supplements that can help - known as phytoestrogens. These
can
remove excess oestrogen or increase oestrogen activity by unblocking
receptors.
They help to rectify whatever imbalance is found. They are precusors to
hormones
but not hormones themselves. We recommend that you stay away from all
hormones
including so-called 'natural' progesterone cream which can have some very
nasty
side-effects. (Remember candida loves progesterone, and excess progesterone
can
transform itself into oestrogen or testosterone causing those hormones to
rise
dangerously - this is discussed in detail in Volume 4 Issue 4 of the Candida
Digest). Herbs include:

* Black cohosh
* Red Clover
* Siberian Ginseng
* Dong Quai
* Wild Yam
* Licorice root (not with high blood pressure)

Avoid or reduce:
* Hormones in milk or meat
* Soya is beginning to get a bad press. It has been reported that animals
fed
soya have had their intestines ripped by its long strands. This sounds like
bad
news for candida sufferers, but we await further evidence.
 back to Home Page

      © National Candida Society 2000