I hate to be the really stupid person in the group. I'm really reasonably
bright
in areas where I have a clue... really... but this is just  *not* one of those
areas...

I need help.

So, if someone would be so kind...

I'm putting together a generator using four 9V batteries.

The original instructions I had called for three batteries, and included a "sub-
miniature 'grain of wheat' incandescent bulb..." (24V 20mA, as I recall, but
don't have it in front of me...), which proved to be an item not easily
obtained
(Radio Shack, local electronics supply, two large hardware stores, and
several hobby shops...). However, each of those places had various 12V
bulbs of that type all over the place. So, I thought, how different could they
be? (Hey, I'm not exactly an electrician, here <g>) The electric supply said
"Very different." So, no bulb...

Then, in my many wanderings researching cs, I found instructions for the
same generator that called for *either* the bulb that eluded me, *or*,  "a
sturdier" 12V ??mA bulb of the same type. However, now I can't find where I
originally read it (can't find the bookmark, and have run several searches to
no avail). However, I think that model also called for three, not four,
batteries-
and the four batteries seem to make more sense to me now. However, that
also lead me to wonder if the number of batteries make a difference, as it
relates to the bulb... and the only four battery instructions I've found to
date,
don't have the bulb. (Maybe there is a reason for that?)

So, could someone who knows about such things please tell me a) if this is
something that is even viable, and worth doing, and if so, b) *exactly* what I
would need to get in the way of a bulb that would work in a simple four
battery generator without me blowing something up? (The bulb is wired into
one of the wires between the clip and the power source and is used to
indicate when the generator is working properly, as I understand it...)

Thanks... once again,