It is possible to use EM1,  a probiotic intended for farm animals,  and
to make it at home for pennies per liter,  if you are willing to become
your own guinea pig.   I use EM! myself.   There is a US distributor.
Type Essential Microorganisms into your Google and you should find it
quickly.   Inventor is Teruo Higa PhD of Okinawa.

JBB